Sunday, July 14, 2013

My Uncle's story

I meet my Uncle at a funeral service this past weekend for another Uncle. He knows I am a professional driver and he asked me a question:

Can the driver of a Freight liner Columbia see me over his grill? My uncle was driving a 2door Hyundai.

Seems that they were stopped at a traffic light.  The trucker stopped too close and my Uncle's car vanished. The trucker was aware of my uncle's car, but again was too close and when the trucker looked up and saw the light was green let off the gas and the automatic truck moved forward enough to "kiss" my uncle's bumper.

Yes, the trucker was at fault, my uncle is safe and his bumper has some marks on it; but its cosmetic damage and he and the car will be Ok. The truck was not injured. The trucker was embarrassed and very sorry about what he did.

This story helps to underline that a truck has a very limited field of vision. So here are some rules of thumb.

1. If you don't see the driver in the mirror from behind, he can't see you.
2. If you don't see the driver through the windshield he can't see you.
3. If a trucker has their signals on and needs to come into your lane, either pass him or flash your lights to tell him that its OK to come into your lane.
4. Give trucks lots of space to move. They really don't want to come into contact with you or your car.
5. Truck don't have crumple zones like your car does. Trucks are covered with a very thin skin which only helps move the air around the truck and decrease fuel consumption.
6. Never pick a battle with a truck. You will lose.

Be safe, and give trucks lot of room.

No comments:

Post a Comment